Tuesday, March 8, 2011

What have we here...

I am on a serious historical fiction kick. They are just so fascinating. Every time I am reminded how little I know about our worlds history. It's like I am taking a little mini college class, but I come and go when I please and don't have any tests or papers. Delightful. I just finished this one, it was a gem.

Pope Joan, by Donna Woolfolk Cross.

When I need to find a good book I go here, 'What should I read next?' You put in a favorite book and it finds similar books for you. Anyhoo, thank you WSIRN (that's what its called on my toolbar) I may not have stumbled upon this book without your help. So, Pope Joan! I had no idea if there really was such a person. I thought it was maybe Joan of Arc or something. Different Joan, different story. For some reason it took me a few chapters to decide if I was going to enjoy the story or not. I am so GLAD I stuck with it. Her story takes place around 800ad., during the dark ages, it was a scary time to be alive and an even scarier time to be a woman. Especially to be a woman who had a will to be educated. Just an amazing novel, the author does a great job helping the reader see what life was like at that time. The best part is Joan's story (part of it) was a real! If you are looking for an engaging story...here you go.

5 comments:

Matthew Hellewell said...

I read this book a while ago and loved it. I had the same experience as you, it took me a few chapters to decide if I wanted to continue. So fascinating! I loved at the end how the author shows all her research.

Carrie Hellewell said...

That wasn't Matt, it was me.. Sorry!

Dan and Katie said...

Sarah's Key...awesome, well I technically not finished, but so far, its great!

St. Julien's said...

Carrie- That is so funny u considered stopping a little way in...I wonder why. And I LOVED the authors notes too, it made like the book even better.

St. Julien's said...

Katie- Sarah's key...thanks for the heads up, I am going to check and see if my library has it!