Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Days like this

I am in a funk of sorts (or maybe just a case of the Monday blues). Yesterday was one of those moody, lay around days. I just felt grumpy and barely had patience for the whining and crying that my girls insisted on doing. So I sat in my messy house and read. Isn't that a great solution? Probably not, but I survived the day anyway. I feel a little better today, but there is just that little thunder cloud kind of looming over me! I will just go ahead and blame it on the new birth control I started a few weeks ago...there. Done! Life has been...interesting as of late. My sister got home from the mission, my Dad has had a relapse with his health, the curtains are wanting to close on summer (I am NOT ready) so I am trying to use our 7 peaks passes as much as possible. All of these details are to explain why I haven't had many book reviews recently. Fear not, I have be reading...
This was on my book club list. It is a memoir about a girl growing up in the Soviet Union in the 60's-70's. It was really eye opening for me. I didn't have a real grasp of what communism looked like. This book made me appreciate our freedoms, even though I get frustrated and complain alot about our government and the direction it is taking, I still have ALOT...ALOT to be greatful for.

I must be kind of drawn to the civil rights era. I keep finding these books about the lives of these slaves and I am so sickened and perplexed by it all. This particular story is actually based on the lives of the writers ancestors. She felt drawn to learn their history, so she quit her job as a VP in a fortune 500 company to research, travel and eventually write this historical novel. It's about survival and how these strong women did everything they could to make life easier for their families. Oh, it was painful to read but it was also very invigorating to see how bound these women were to family and whatever freedom they could obtain in a span of three generations.

Last but not least, just finished this one today. A girl finds out from her father, on his death bed that she has a half- sister. I would give this book a 3.75 stars. It was written well enough and had some interesting situations and themes. There was some language that I would have liked to deleted. I squeezed out a tear or two and it made me think about family ties etc...so, nice.

5 comments:

Marilyn said...

I love your book reviews, Heidi! The Soviet Union book sounds interesting--I'm going to look for it. And I have a recommendation for you: "Wild Swans" by Jung Chang. It's about life in Communist China, and it's so fascinating. I never knew anything about what things were like there (kind of like Russia---I don't think any of this was taught in school; or did I just miss it?) and it was really eye-opening. Made me grateful to live here, like you said.

You might also like a trilogy called "Standing on the Promises" about Black Mormon pioneers. Did you even know there WERE any? It's by Darius Grey and Margaret Blair Young. It sounds kind of boring but it's not. It's really readable. And again, opens your eyes to lots of things you've never heard of.

Anyway. Carry on. I'm glad you're reading lots and I hope your thunder cloud goes away soon (I have those days too!). :)

St. Julien's said...

Thanks for the recommendations! Both sound really interesting...off to the library:)

Erin Leigh said...

Ditto to what Marilyn said, I like your book reviews. I need to do some some more reading. How do you decide what books to read? Where do you find them?

St. Julien's said...

I get them from people recommending them. And when I run out of those I go to the library and scavenge in the new books section, or just roam the shelves till something looks interesting. If you do the latter you sometimes get some weird stuff. I sometimes look at the best seller lists online too...

Tabitha said...

You read too much! Let's get together, ya ya ya!